A century and a half ago, a Bostonian named Gardener Brewer traveled to Europe to see the Exposition Universal de Paris. While there, he saw and fell in love with a remarkable work of art created by two French sculptors, Mathurin Moreau and Alexandre Lambert. It was an exuberant fountain with water gods and goddesses, spouting dolphins, and terraced basins dropping water onto the figures below. Displayed at the center of the Grand Hall, the fountain celebrated the power of water and the creation of a modern municipal water system in Paris. Brewer believed that Boston, too, had much to celebrate at mid-century. He had the fountain cast in bronze directly from the original and shipped to Boston in 1868 where it was erected on the Boston Common near his Beacon Street home. The fountain remained here until around 1917, when it was moved to its present location closer to Tremont Street. SOURCE: Friends of The Public Garden.
PHOTO CREDIT: Paul Marengo /Promethean Fundraising