CELEBRATING ART: Fountain Square in Cincinnati

Fountain Square has been the symbolic center of Cincinnati since 1871. The square, which replaced a butcher’s market,was a gift from Henry Probasco in memory of Tyler Davidson. Probasco traveled to Munich and commissioned a bronze allegorical fountain from Ferdinand von Miller named The Genius of Water. Originally, the square occupied a large island in the middle of Fifth Street with buildings to the north and south, much like nearby Piatt Park. A 1971 renovation of the square included slightly moving and re-orienting the fountain to the west, and enlarging the plaza by removing the original westbound portion of 5th Street and demolishing buildings to the north. It is used for lunch-breaks, rallies, and other gatherings. SOURCE: Wikipedia.

PHOTO CREDIT: Paul Marengo / Promethean Fundraising